Basement Finishing Design & Construction
Basements have more potential than any other part of your home, but most basements never get to reach that potential. Even if you have a basement that’s cluttered and filled with junk, it could easily become one of most valued and frequently enjoyed parts of your Kalamazoo home. Basement finishing can help you raise the resale value of your home, create more space in your home, and give you more enjoyment than ever before.
The remodeling contractors at ALL-STAR REMODELING & DESIGN can help you transform your basement into a place where you and your family love to spend time. We’ll work with you directly to design your basement renovations, ensuring that you get everything you need out of the project. Then, we’ll build your new basement from the ground up, making sure that you receive quality materials and quality workmanship.
Not sure what to do with the space in your basement? Here are some ideas that may help:
Basement Egress Windows
When converting a basement into a living area, your safety is the primary consideration. That’s why building codes specify that a finished basement must have an emergency egress – an egress window or door large enough (by code) to allow people to easily exit and for rescue crews to gain access in case of a fire or other emergency. Besides gaining peace of mind, you will also benefit from more natural light and ventilation, adding to the comfort and value of your newly finished basement.
Designing and Planning Your Basement Remodel
The key to a successful basement finishing project—or any remodeling project, for that matter—is having a clear, solid plan and a great design in place before any of the work begins. Our professionals can help you with the planning and design aspects of the project, but here are a couple of the things that you should consider during this step:
Parts of your basement will rely on electric light, while other areas (i.e., those near egress windows) can depend on natural light during the day. You’ll want to keep most social areas closer to the natural light, while a television area, for instance, would need to be kept away from it.
Decide on the layout of your finished basement before you start constructing anything. Our professionals will help you make sure that your layout is perfectly planned before we start building or renovating anything.
For example, if you plan on including a food storage area, make sure that no one will have to cross in front of the television to reach the food. These types of small functional design elements can be easily overlooked, but they’re ultimately what make or break a remodeling project.
Troubleshooting Problems with Your Basement
There are a number of things that can go wrong during a basement finishing project, but our remodeling contractors will do their best to find any of these problems before any of the work begins. When problems do crop up during construction, we’ll be able to handle them and keep the project moving along as smoothly as possible—but hopefully, we can avoid that situation with an inspection beforehand.
During the inspection, our professionals will:
- Look for any excessive moisture, anywhere in the basement.
- Make sure that your foundation is properly sealed.
- Check your flooring.
- Make sure that any fuel-burning equipment is up to code and safe for use.
If we find any problems, we’ll discuss them with you in plain English before we begin any of our work.
If you need a remodeling contractor for basement finishing in Kalamazoo, call All-Star Remodeling & Design at 269-342-6356 or complete our online request form.
- Why Quartz Countertops Are Superior - Quartz is one of the hardest minerals you can find on earth. This natural mineral is wonderful for countertops. Many homeowners are replacing old laminate, granite, and marble countertops with quartz. Quartz is naturally shimmery and beautiful. Granite is dull looking until the sealant is applied. Over time, the seal on a granite countertop will … Read More
- 4 Benefits Of Vinyl Replacement Windows - Your windows are a major investment for your home. When it comes time to look for replacements, it is important to take into account what all the different options available to you are and the advantages you stand to gain from each one. Not everyone has the extra hours to spend researching these things unfortunately … Read More